The podiatrists at Fitzroy Foot and Ankle Clinic have recently started using 3D laser scanning to create custom-made orthotics. Using 3D laser scanning has a number of advantages, including:
- more accurate impressions of the feet;
- no need for messy plaster casting;
- the orthotics are returned to patients faster as the laser scan of the foot will be uploaded to the orthotic laboratory's servers immediately;
- reduced time as the laser scanner takes a few seconds once setup;
- the scan of the foot is electronically stored for easy retrieval in the future;
- allows more accurate placement of offloading padding
We have invested in this technology as we feel 3D laser scanning allows us to create better custom made orthotics, in a faster time-frame, which ultimately provides a better service to our patients. We are able to provide this extra service without any extra costs being passed on to our patients.